Chatham Dockyard is located on the River Medway and was established in 1567. Shipbuilding was carried out on this site for hundreds of years. HMS Victory, Admiral Lord Nelson’s flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar was built at Chatham. In 1968 a facility for the refitting of nuclear submarines was established. It ceased to operate as a Royal Navy dockyard in 1984.
Part of the site is now a visitor attraction under the care of the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust. The ships Cavalier and Gannet and the submarine Ocelot can be visited. The rest of the site is now a commercial port where the photo of Arco Axe (a dredger supplying aggregates to the building trade) was taken. Redevelopment has also provided 1500 homes and a marina. The buildings to the right of the ship are being demolished to make way for new business.
The photo was taken early one morning whilst the Arco Axe was alongside for repairs. Originally shot in colour on a DSLR the photo has been processed in Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro.
© Simon Howlett 2012. All rights reserved